Facebook Pixel

The Day After Chemotherapy

Rate This

Today is day 2 after chemo. Yesterday I had my third official round of Taxotere and Ulimpta infusion. This is the first official chemo that has shown on the Petscan to be working to stop the growth of the cancer and actually shrink the tumors.

Debbie Meyers, my dance teacher from when I was younger in Park City came to be my caregiver for the week and was with me during chemo. She sat patiently as the chemo infused through my body. The time seemed to go by fast, probably because this was the first time that I have had company at CTCA during an infusion. I felt pretty good after chemo, which is pretty normal. We stopped by a furniture store that was going out of business and I ended up getting an awesome deal on a bedroom set for the guest bedroom. I guess it was about time that I get something for the other bedroom…now caregivers can actually put their clothes in a dresser instead of living out of a suitcase!

Today I woke up feeling extremely thirsty and exhausted. My phone seemed to be ringing off the hook this morning! Julie and Shannon stopped over for lunch and shortly after Whitney showed up (she is staying with me for the weekend). We drove back out to CTCA for my day after chemo shot “newlasta?” and to solidify my schedule for the next week. We ended up running into a friend Anna who went in for brain surgery last week. It was good to see her and know that she is okay. She actually looked amazing for going through brain surgery just a few days ago.

Tonight Cathy, Whitney and I got Thai food and rented movies. We went for a walk around the block…probably 10-15 minutes or so. I was so excited that my back wasn’t hurting and it felt good to be out strolling around in the beautiful weather. After Cathy left, Whitney and I went for another stroll around the block. I feel like I may be getting a little sick and run down. I think it just has to do with the fact that I haven’t been getting very good sleep lately and I’ve been really stressed out. I have no problem falling asleep, but then I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep. I have been REALLY hungry as well when I do wake up. It’s the strangest thing. Anyway, I am just glad that so far I am feeling ok after chemo. Usually the side effects don’t hit too hard until the third or fourth day. Tomorrow will be judgement day. I am praying that I am not too nauseous. Whitney and I have some errands that we need to run and the Junior League care card discount is this weekend so we want to take advantage.

Add a Comment1 Comments

Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi Melissa -
Happy Friday, and it's good to get your update.

I was happy to hear you were able to have Debbie by your side during chemo and that the time went quickly. And getting a great deal on furniture is fantastic! Plus running into old friends is always a treat. Seems like a lot of things are going your way now, and I hope that becomes the norm for you. Glad you're continuing to walk and you've got a good weekend ahead.
Stay strong and positive, and I'll look to hear from you again soon.
Take good care,

October 23, 2009 - 5:40pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Lung Cancer

Get Email Updates

Lung Cancer Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!