ACL tears are often due to noncontact injuries. Precautions can be taken to prevent them.
- When jumping and landing, or turning and pivoting, your hips and knees should be bent, not straight
- Incorporate adequate warm-up exercises to prepare the knee for your sport
- Plyometrics , a form of jumping exercises, can be used to train and strengthen the leg muscles for jumping and landing (should only be done under professional supervision)
- Strengthen both the quadriceps and the hamstrings
- Keep the quadriceps and hamstrings flexible by stretching regularly
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2023 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.