Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Urogynaecologist ... Despite suspected ureteral obstruction?

By Anonymous January 14, 2013 - 5:43pm
Rate This

I have had a pain in my lower right pelvis for roughly 2 years now. To put it bluntly - I've seen many GP's and not a SINGLE one had/has a clue what it could be. I have had no blood tests or any scan besides an ultrasound (forgive me but they are a complete waste of time). After doing some research i came across 'urinary tract obstruction' and so prompted a doctor. Since then i now have a symmetrical pain in my left lower pelvis which has escalated to a pain in my (left) mid-upper back and also down my left arm. It throbs day and night and i strongly suspect it may be Hydronephrosis. I have been waiting for 7 weeks (still 2 weeks to go) to see a urogynaecologist?! ... Please please tell me they can refer me for a CT scan/kidney blood tests? And transfer me to a urologist asap??

Add a Comment4 Comments


Hello Anonymous,

Hydronephrosis is swelling of the kidney (unilateral) or kidneys (bilateral) due to a backup of urine. Symptoms include pain between the upper abdomen and the back, in the area where the kidneys are located. Your pain is in the pelvis, back and arm. Other symptoms of this condition are an abdominal mass, nausea and vomiting, a urinary tract infection, fever, and painful urination with increased urinary frequency and urgency.

I wish I could tell you that you will have a particular scan or be referred to a specialist, but I cannot. I do not know what health care system you are part of. Ideally, a CT scan or MRI will be ordered as well as blood tests, to reach a diagnosis.

Please keep us updated.


January 14, 2013 - 6:02pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hey! Thanks for replying. I am part of the NHS care system. I've been waiting on this appointment for weeks. I do have upper pains just along the breastbone on both sides but only occasionly. The main symptom is the constant back pain, it feels prominent and swollen everyday. I can't lay on it either. My concern is ... Does a urogynaecologist deal with potential kidney problems? I've heard if left Hydronephrosis can lead to loss of renal function. I think it may be due to this obstruction. I would assume any specialist could refer you for a CT scan, but what about specific kidney function tests? I don't no i can wait much longer, it's truely debilitating this pain. 2 weeks to go.

January 15, 2013 - 5:40am
Guide (reply to Anonymous)


I am not familiar with the NHS care system. I can tell you that a urogynecology is a surgical subspecialty of gynecology and urology. A urogynecologist is a gynecologist with further training in urology.

This specialist will order any necessary tests, including CT scan, MRI, ultrasound, kidney function tests, and whatever testing he or she feels is needed.

If the pain is unbearable, give the physician's office a call. Maybe another patient may cancel, or hearing how much you are suffering, your appointment may be moved up.


January 15, 2013 - 5:38pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hey Maryann!

Thanks again for replying. Can't tell you what a shear relief it is to have someone REALLY listen to me. Typical Brit me - suffer in silence, then approach a doc whereby they vaguely give you the time of day. Tho to be fair suppose there not all bad. I assume if i may your from the USA perhaps? I say that purely because every Brit knows or knows of the NHS. Without patronizing... the NHS is fundamentally a free healthcare system to all and any within the UK (on the premise people continue to pay their tax). For that reason alone i'm grateful i live in this country and can have scans and tests without paying a penny. It's just the waiting times that's ridiculous.

You have been a lovely person may i just say. Very kind of you to impart your time on someone you haven't even met... So thankyou.

Also (rambling almost over) i'm glad to hear that urogynaecologists do infact dabble in urology aswell as gyni. Great news!

Thanks again!

January 15, 2013 - 7:33pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!