Preparing for Your Colonoscopy Exam: How to Make It Easier
The notorious colonoscopy exam is actually a very important and informative means of diagnostic that can sometimes even save your life. It is performed with the help of a special device inserted through the rectum. This helps to see whether there are any malformations or other pathologic changes inside it with the help of a camera. The equipment used even allows polyp removal or colonoscopy biopsy performance.
When is colonoscopy needed? Your doctor may appoint it if you have complaints on stomach pain, rectal bleeding, chronic constipation or diarrhea. In addition, it is a preventive measure that helps diagnose rectal cancer and polyps inside the rectum.
This procedure is harmless but cannot be called pleasant. Although it is usually performed with anesthesia, it requires a difficult preparation period full of annoying measurements and strict rules. The intestine must be cleaned thoroughly to provide good visibility. The doctor informs a patient in details about the prep period according to his individual conditions.
The prep period for colonoscopy takes a week. During this time, you will be cleaning your intestine with all the means possible. Before this week starts, provide yourself with these things that will make it easier to survive.
1. Laxatives. Your doctor will tell you which ones to buy.
2. Wet towels or a quality toilet paper. You will have to defecate often, and it is better to take care of something gentle to wipe yourself to avoid discomfort and irritation.
3. Nourishing anti-inflammatory cream for your skin in the most delicate place. Diarrhea caused by laxatives can be too severe for your skin and it may need soothing after each defecation act.
4. Products for your cleansing menu. Your doctor will tell you what to eat and what not during this period. It will be much more convenient for you if you think over your diet and will buy all the necessary products in advance.
5. Clean water. Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate. This will help your intestine get clean much more effectively. The day before the procedure, avoid drinking colorful liquids to provide the better visibility of your colon for the doctor.
These things will make your prep period much easier and reduce all the possible discomfort during it to minimum. Take care of your health and comfort!