The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done. This may include listening to or tapping on your chest.
Tests may include:
- Chest x-ray —a test that uses radiation to take a picture of structures inside the chest
- Ultrasound—a test that uses sound waves to examine structures inside the chest
- CT scan —a type of x-ray that uses a computer to make pictures of structures in the chest
- Thoracentesis —fluid sample extracted from the pleural space around the lungs with a needle
- Pulmonary function tests —to check breathing ability
- Biopsy —removal of a sample of pleural tissue for testing
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2022 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.