To help reduce your chances of getting IgA nephropathy, take the following steps:
Manage your blood pressure and cholesterol levels:
- Eat a healthful diet, one that is low in saturated fat and rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Don't smoke. If you smoke , quit.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Moderate alcohol intake is no more than two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women.
- Lose weight if necessary. Your doctor can recommend a safe weight loss plan and a reasonable target weight.
- Consider counseling, stress reduction exercises, and meditation to decrease the stress in your life.
- Take medicine. Your doctor may prescribe medicine to help lower your blood pressure and/or cholesterol levels.
- Tell your doctor if you have a family history of IgA nephropathy or other forms of kidney disease. This way, your doctor can watch for signs of IgA nephropathy.