Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Retinal Vascultis

By Anonymous March 5, 2010 - 4:29pm
Rate This

I have been diagnosed with Retinal Vascultis. One doctor suspects Eales but the doctor who diagnosed does not. He has prescribed steriods for treatment of the inflammation. His reasoning: all blood tests including PPD and quantifirum were negative (i.e. normal). And I have no leakage in the peripheral vessels. So he doesn't believe it's Eales. Any ideas? Does this sound like the appropriate treatment? Who are the best doctors in the country for retinal vasculitis?

Add a Comment3 Comments

Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi Anon - Thank you for the additional information. Eales disease is commonly seen in India and in sections of the Middle East, but is rarely seen in the United States. This link will provide more information: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1225636-overview

Retinal Vasculitis is typically treated with high doses of cortisone-related medications, such as prednisone. You can learn more about diagnosis and treatment here: http://www.uveitissociety.org/pages/diseases/retinalvasculitis.htm

If you are concerned with the discrepancy between the diagnoses you may want to seek a third opinion. Two of the top ranked centers in the U.S. in the Western part of the country are in Los Angeles: the Doheny Eye Institute http://www.doheny.org/
and the Jules Stein Eye Institute (JSEI) http://www.jsei.org/

I hope this information helps you in determining your next steps. Will you let us know what you decide to do and how your treatment goes?
Take care,

March 8, 2010 - 6:13pm
Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi Anon - Thanks for writing. EmpowHER reaches a global audience and we receive questions from throughout the world. Could you please let us know what country you're in, and also what city you live in so that we can research services near you. Thanks, Pat

March 5, 2010 - 6:57pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Sandia Park New Mexico. Near ABQ. We have doctors but was trying to get as much feedback as possible. Perhaps there are specialists in other parts of the country? Don't know enough about it.

March 5, 2010 - 8:38pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Eyes & Vision

Get Email Updates

Eyes & Vision Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!