Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Red patch on skin - how serious is it?

By Anonymous November 30, 2014 - 2:15am
Rate This

I have noticed a reddish patch on my hip for almost four months. It rarely gets itchy, and when it does, it is a very slight itch. The patch, or mark, would get very red, and before I know it, a scab would form on it; and once the scab is peeled off, the color would look a bit pinkish (or a light-colored red), before repeating the process (becoming red, forming a scab, etc.). As I have said before, this has been going on for almost four months. I am a 30-year-old female whose only health issues consist of GERD, gastritis, and a hiatal hernia. Aside from this unexplainable patch (and my digestive issues), I have not had any other medical problems. I do not take any medications except vitamins – and of recently, I am currently using Cortizone 10 for the red patch. Since I am not one to rush to see a doctor over every little issue, my question is: is this serious enough to render a doctor’s visit? I do not know if it is a rash or ringworm (it hasn’t gotten infected, and nor am I in pain), so I would like to know if this is something I should be serious about. Any possible information given is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Add a Comment1 Comments


Hello Anonymous, and thanks for sharing your concern with the EmpowHER community.

It's concerning that you've been dealing with this skin condition for four months. Please take steps to be sure the area is kept dry and to also allow it to fully heal when it forms the scabs.

Cortisone 10 is a mild corticosteroid. It will help reduce the swelling and itching that comes with a wide variety of skin conditions including insect bites, poison ivy, allergies, dermatitis and more. 

If you have a more serious skin condition, such as a fungal infection of the skin, then you need a different type of treatment, such as a clotrimazole cream or topical ointment. These work by weakening the cell membrane of the fungus, resulting in the death of the fungus. These can be purchased as over the counter drugs.

This information is just a suggestion, not a medical opinion. If this condition continues to persist then you should see a doctor, preferably a dermatologist, for an exam and diagnosis.

Hope that helps,


November 30, 2014 - 12:15pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Skin Rash

Get Email Updates

Skin Rash Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!