Facebook Pixel

Comment Reply

EmpowHER Guest

Thank you for writing about stuttering in children. However, it is now recommended that some children receive early intervention for stuttering. A Speech Language Pathologist who has special training in stuttering (see www.stutteringspecialists.org and www.stutteringhelp.org) will listen to the kind of disfluency the very young child has in his/her speech. Lengthy repetitions of sounds, syllables, and words as well as prolongations and blocks are not normal disfluencies and should be addressed as soon as possible. Children as young as 2 and 3 years of age can benefit from indirect play therapy and changes in their environment to support greater fluency. These very young children are sometimes developing negative reactions to their speech as is evidenced by whispering, pulling on their tongue, or giving up talking altogether. Judy

October 5, 2011 - 5:29am


Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy