Pat provided you with some wonderful information, and I wanted to add one resource for the "holistic" approach that you are looking for.
1. The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) has research-based information on what has been proven effective regarding holistic and natural remedies. Regarding bowel conditions, this is what one study has shown:
"Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), including Crohn's Disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC), are characterized by inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. Conventional medical therapies for IBD typically involve the use of anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce inflammation, including reducing the production of pro-inflammatory proteins including cytokines and chemokines. However, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the currently available therapeutic options can have limited benefit or unpleasant side effects and many patients eventually require surgery. Now researchers have found that bromelain — an enzyme derived from pineapple stems — might be able to reduce inflammation in IBD."
2. Have you sought the care of a homeopathic physician?
3. What other lifestyle changes have you made? It seems so simple, but you can never underestimate the impact of:
- managing stress (meditation classes, yoga, deep breathing)
- taking care of your emotional well-being (remove stressors in your life, avoid toxic people, do things that bring you joy)
- sleeping well
Let us know if you would like any additional resources or information on any of the above-mentioned topics!