"How Quickly Do the Benefits of Quitting Start?"
* "Just 20 minutes after your last cigarette, your blood pressure and
pulse rate drop to normal and the body temperature of your hands and
feet increases to normal."
* "A mere 8 hours after your last smoke, the carbon monoxide level
decreases and the oxygen level in your blood increases to normal."
* "Just 24 hours after your last cigarette, you substantially lessen
your chances of having a heart attack."
* "Two days after your last cigarette, you will notice that your
ability to taste and smell is enhanced."
* "Three days later, your breathing should be noticeably better
because your lung capacity will be greater."
* "Your circulation will improve and your lung functioning will
increase up to 30% within two weeks to three months after quitting."
* "Between one month and nine months, the cilia in your lungs will
regenerate, allowing your body to clean your lungs and reduce
* "One year after quitting, your risk of coronary heart disease is
half that of a smoker."
* "Five years after quitting, your risk of stroke is reduced to that
of a nonsmoker."
* "Ten years after quitting, the lung cancer death rate is about half
that of a continuing smokers. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat,
esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases."
* "Fifteen years after quitting, your risk of coronary heart disease
is that of a nonsmokers.
(U.S. Surgeon General's Reports (1988, 1990)